Another year, more lessons learned, cheers to 2019.
- Get comfortable with being uncomfortable – I definitely learned this when I moved to Spain. The first few months were difficult. I felt uncomfortable and insecure speaking the little Spanish I knew. I still find communicating in Spanish difficult. But in order to learn, I need to practice practice practice or else I am going nowhere.
- Self-awareness is IMPORTANT – I remember a few years ago, when I dated a guy, I always wanted to be involved. I had a fear of missing out (FOMO). I did not realize this until recently and how unhealthy I was making myself become. Trying to force myself to be outgoing when all I wanted was alone time, wasn’t healthy.. Learning to become aware when I needed time away to recharge became a priority.
- Travel more – it is very cheap to travel in Europe compared to the States. Last month, I found a roundtrip flight to France for 10 euros! CHEAP! After traveling to 7 different countries within 3 months, it made me realized I need to travel more in the States.. One of my 2019’s resolutions is to travel more in America.
- Be careful with surroundings – I would say I am pretty careful on what I speak into existence and what I surround myself with. I would never say phrases like “I hate myself” or “I’m so stupid” because I do not believe it. I never want those kind of thoughts to become a reality. Words have an immense amount power.
- Kindness is absolutely free – simple. Just be nice.
- Planning is good, but be prepared to be flexible – I’m such a planner (comes with the INFJ personality type)! But sometimes life happens and I have to learn to adjust accordingly because not everything is going the way I want it to go.
- Olives are probably my favorite European snack – especially green olives. Yum!
- Learn, grow, move – mistakes happen! It is just part of life. Whenever I make a mistake, I try not to dwell on it. Instead, I find the lesson from within and try not to make the same mistake twice.
- My phone is very distracting – my phone is a great piece of technology but it was getting out of hand. Recently, I checked my screen time on my iPhone and I average around 4 hours of usage, per day. A good amount of that time was spent endless scrolling on Instagram. I started spending less time on my phone by putting it on ‘do not disturb’ or keeping it out of reach. It made more time for me to focus on the present or read all the books I bought while traveling.
- Work hard, it will pay off honey – This past year or two, I have worked with different brands: Aerie, Design Essentials, Shea Moisture, Teami Blends, and more… Reflecting on the different opportunities I had makes me want to continue working harder towards new opportunities in 2019.
What have you learned in 2018? Any New Year’s resolutions? Leave a comment!
Like the British say,