I am happy to be back in warm and sunny Spain! I spent the past 3 weeks traveling to London, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris for holiday. This was my first Christmas away from my family but I enjoyed spending the time with friends. Along the way, I picked up some tips that I want to share with you.
- Save your coins, cook at home! – even if it is just one meal, it will help your wallet! We normally cooked breakfast and maybe another meal at home. A simple breakfast like toast, eggs, and fruit is cheap and easy to make.
- Airbnb tips
- if you’re going to be visiting a city like London for close to a week, find an Airbnb in the city. Yes, it will be more expensive but at least you will cut costs on transportation fees going back and forth to the city.
- Also, when researching for the perfect Airbnb, look for the nearest grocery store and transportation center near the location of the Airbnb. Our Airbnb in Paris (Bièvres) was in a tiny town with a population of around 3,000 people. Even though our Airbnb was “cheap”, the closest supermarket was 25-minutes away and Paris was about an hour away by train. Regardless, the Airbnb was in a quiet location and was cozy.
Haven’t used Airbnb yet? Use my code and receive €34 off your first reservation: https://abnb.me/e/FxtA6bMHcT
- Check airport policies on liquids – when my friends and I were traveling out of the Southend airport in England, we were caught at security for having too many liquids. Even though all of our containers were less than 3oz., we had too many. I even had my liquids in clear bags and still couldn’t pass. The security person gave us a liter sized bag and we had to frantically decide what products were going to be left behind…. All while our plane was boarding. One day I will share that whole situation.
- Student visas and ISIC card = free admission – thanks Carly for this information… I am not sure if this applies to all museums outside of France, but it worked for the Louvre. We bypassed a €15 admission fee by just showing our student visa. In Barcelona, I was able to get free admission at the Picasso museum because of my ISIC card.
- Carry a reusable water bottle when traveling – if you’re like me, a water bottle is one of the necessary things you bring before going anywhere. When at an airport, forget paying for overpriced water. Instead, take your empty reusable water bottle and go to Starbucks. You can ask them to refill your bottle and they will do it for free.
I hope that these tips were helpful for you. If you have any suggestions or questions, please feel free to leave a comment. 🙂